Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Next time . . .

. . . I'm going to check which music pile I'm putting into storage. And that's all I'm going to say on that subject.

Banks are weird things. I go in for the simple purpose of telling them I'm going to Europe soon, and before I know it they are trying to get me to set up a second bank account. Which, for the record, is a good idea. That way I have a sort of "back up" account if I lose my debit card, or if it gets stolen. However, before I know it there's mentions of some account called a "sole proprietorship" and feature lists and yada yada yada. After a while I finally just decided to go for a no-frills back up without special card with points and whatnot; I just don't really trust banks to have my best interests in mind when trying to convince me to get one account sort or another, so I need time to examine the options. I mean, banks make most of their money by charging their users various fees, mainly overdraft fees but there are plenty of other mostly hidden charges out there. So whenever some bank employee is trying to get me to sign up for this that or the other thing, it makes me anxious. Because bank employees are people and I think a lot of them genuinely want to assist bank customers, but it's hard sometimes to tell where the human being ends and the institution begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment